Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Make-up for men - Gay? Or natural?


While searching for some tips on lip care, I came across a site called themenpen.com. My initial reaction was to laugh at the title and to write it off as not being for me, since well, I’m no he. I was about to exit the site when I read one of their taglines: “There’s nothing gay about covering up a zit when you go out!” I couldn’t have agreed more and hence my article here! 

Make-up has been largely thought of as for women. In modern times, the thought of using beauty-enhancement products on a man was seen as ‘gay’ or ‘faggish’. This largely helped to condition the international view of the fact that men should not (be allowed to) wear make-up as it is something only women do. However, I beg to disagree.

Cosmetics have been introduced for men as far as back as the early civilizations and perhaps even beyond that time. As a kid I can remember seeing Egyptian rulers in our textbooks and thinking that it was odd how they wore kajal. Reading further into that although, I found that eye makeup was probably the most characteristic of all the Egyptian cosmetic discoveries.

But why go that far away when Indian classical dancers and temple priests too, wear some type of cosmetic products to enhance their eyes, etc. 

The bottom line of it is that cosmetics for men are not unique, and are completely on par with the way things have been in the past, present, and will likely be in the future. 

So pop out those mindsets that wearing make-up is so gay, and pop into your closet a couple of simple beauty-enhancing products! A good everyday collection to have on hand is a cocoa butter chapstick (Body Shop makes a great one!), a man pen (a.k.a – concealer), and possibly a natural shade of eyeliner to add character and color to your eyes. You’ll probably only need eyeliner if you have naturally pale eyes, or faint and light eyelashes. 

I found a simple steps way for a man to wear make-up on wikihow.com. I’m adding the link here as it might be helpful for those of you using make-up for the first time. 

Here’s the link: http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Makeup-as-a-Man 

Remember that using make-up for men doesn’t make you a drag queen or a fag. It’s normal, it’s natural, and many people the world over use it. Have fun experimenting with what works for you and making yourself look as hot as you can! Cheers..

4 comments:

  1. Purity12lover


    As a single guy who looks after himself, my weight has been a real pain to maintain. A friend recommended Purity12 weight loss system and I've never looked back. I no longer feel embarrassed to take my shirt off.
    Honestly speaking I was skeptical at first and a little nervous but the staff made me feel really at ease and explained the process in a simple and clear way. It was so easy so I decided to sign up and be a distributor. Try it here. http://if1s.com?134

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man should always care about themself, thou also care not to become gay or metrosexual addict. I believe that a clean, cared and fresh look is all that a man must have. When putted into a showbiz situation make-up could really help because of the situation. Eventually man must be masculin, not infatuated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work..
    Vkool

    ReplyDelete